Frequently Asked Questions

for short courses

Is there any entry requirements or prerequisites?

All of our courses require basic computer skills, and a general interest in the subject. We do have certain age requirements across most of our programmes and specific requirements for most of our Micro-credentials:

School Holiday Programmes & NCEA Credit Courses
These courses are designed for secondary school students. To enrol you must be a student in Year 9 - Year 13.

Essentials & Training Packages

Please see individual course pages for requirements as these vary per programme. For these courses, these are aimed at the working professional/adult learner so you must be 18 years or older.

Please see individual course pages for requirements as these vary per programme.

Online Programmes
Please see individual course pages for requirements as these vary per programme. You will need your own computer that has access to reliable internet, web cam and microphone.

How do I apply?

It's easy! Just enrol online through the course page via the 'Apply Now' button at the top right of the page. From there. you will have to fill out an enrolment form and accept our Terms and Conditions. Depending on the course, there may be further enrolment requirements such as sending through a verified form of ID.

Do I need to have attended a previous course?

Most of our courses are from an introduction level unless listed otherwise. With some of our advanced courses such as the Cyber Security Micro-credential, you may need experience or a qualification from another course, so make sure you check out the course description just in case.

What payment methods do you accept?

Our main payment method is via PayPal, when you enrol online and submit the enrolment application you will be directed to PayPal to complete payment. This is the most secure way we can accept payment for course fees. We also accept the following alternative options:

  • Pay by Invoice (Eligible for Organisations/Schools only)
  • Pay at a Yoobee Campus (Only during office hours only at Auckland City Road, Wellington, Christchurch and Rotorua campuses)
  • Pay via Payment Plan (Only eligible for certain courses, please see course page for more details)

What is the deadline to enrol in a course?

As long as we've still got space you can enrol right up to the day before a course starts. If you are unsure, you can get in touch with one of our Short Course team members and they can get you up to speed on what spaces are available. Email:

For our Micro-credential courses, we usually close off enrolments 48 hours before the course commences as we require full enrolment documents to be completed before-hand.

Can I get a student loan or Fees Free to pay for the short course tuition?

Unfortunately you cannot get a student loan for all of our short courses. However, if you choose to study a Micro-credential with us you can apply for Fees Free study if you are eligible.

What is the enrolment process for International students?

Fees and enrolment process may differ depending on the course. Please contact us directly here to finalise enrolment and payment opposed to applying online. This course is open to individuals living or residing in New Zealand only.

Where is the course?

All of our courses are either held at our campuses or are run online. We've got creative technical and design hubs right across the country in Auckland CBD, Manukau, Auckland North Shore, Rotorua, Wellington CBD and Christchurch CBD. 

Can I buy an Adobe subscription through Yoobee and get a discount?

When you are an enrolled Yoobee student, you will be eligible for the student discount that they promote - You can find out more about their plans and pricing here.

What do I need to bring with me to my course?

We recommend to all students to use cloud services opposed to a USB drive. There is plenty of free and accessible options, here is a few popular free options: OneDrive, Dropbox and Google Drive - Make sure to sign out of your accounts at the end of the day if you are on an on campus course.

You can also bring along with you a pair of headphones, pen & paper if this is prefer to take notes and also your own water bottle and lunch as we do not provide this.

Where do I park?

We'll send you your campus and course details along with some helpful information when you enrol. This will include recommended parking options, but most of our campuses do not have onsite parking options. If you click on our Contact Us page, you'll also find campus maps there.

Can I borrow equipment from Yoobee to work at home between classes?

Our equipment is utilised by many students across different courses, so we need to keep it onsite for our other students to use during classes. Although you're free to use it during course hours it can't be taken home afterwards.

I don't have a digital camera, can Yoobee provide one so I can attend the Photography or Film Training Package?

For these courses, you will need to bring a digital camera with an interchangeable lens (DSLR) - If you are wanting any recommendations, feel free to ask a member of the Sales team!

Do I receive a certificate at the end of the course?

Everyone who completes a short course with us will get a certificate of completion. For our Micro-credential courses, if you pass the course, you will receive the associated NZQA credits and a certificate which is mailed out.

(This process can take up to a month post-course due to the processing of results and the varied length of time the certificate may be in the post)

What happens if a course gets cancelled?

On the rare occasion your course is cancelled, we'll let you know as soon as we can via phone or email. You'll always get at least two days notice before a course is due to start, but of course if we can we'll let you know earlier.

What is the procedure to withdraw from a course?

If you are enrolled in a course, let us know as soon as you can - please email the Short Course Co-ordinator and we'll let you know the options depending on the time of your withdrawal and Terms & Conditions.

Can I bring my own laptop to this programme?

You are most welcome to bring your own computer to a short course that is on campus. If this is the case, we ask that you ensure your own software is working and ready to go and that you understand that the course may be delivered via PC or Mac. We can provide you with Wi-Fi details upon arrival.

Are these courses the same in each campus?

There will be a bit of variance depending on individual tutor skillsets, but the core elements and objectives of the course are kept the same. Majority of our courses are from an introduction level, and we deliver courses in line with this to keep the pace of the class to how the course is designed.

Check out our tutors here!

What level are holiday programmes aimed at?

Our Holiday programmes deliver a good foundational knowledge. If any course needs prior subject knowledge, we'll mention it in the course description. If you've got any doubt about suitability, chat to a team member and they can sort out your query.

When are the breaks and what information is there around this?

Please see course confirmation for specific times but we usually have this around midday for up to an hour (Typically 12-1pm or 12:30-1:30pm) Please be aware that students are unsupervised during breaks and lunch times and are able to leave the campus. If this is not acceptable, parents and caregivers should make alternative arrangements.

How much homework is involved? (10 week courses)

There is about 3-4 hours per week outside of class time (30-40 over the course).

NCEA Credit Courses

Do I need my own software and equipment for my self-directed work?

Yes – We ask that you have your own access to what is required for self-directed work either at school or at home. For in class work we provide everything you need unless advised otherwise.

Can I do this course if I am not in Y13?

Yes - if you are completing NCEA level 1-3, your school gives you permission and you feel as though you would be able to complete this level of work. These credits are Level 3.

COVID-19 Information

What happens if a lockdown or alert level change happens around the start date of a course?

We have the capacity to deliver courses remotely and have experience in successfully continuing the delivery of our programmes online based on previous lockdowns. If this situation did arise, the available options would be to continue remote learning or a transfer to the following onsite intake. We would also be in touch with you directly on the suitable options available.

What is your procedures for COVID-19 Alert Level 2 for on campus courses?
With the current public health advice, we are able to deliver courses on campus under Alert Level 2 or below. We also ask students to familiarise themselves with the below requirements:

  • We encourage the wearing of masks but these are not currently mandatory at education facilities. These can be taken off when eating and drinking and when you are seated.
  • We will be asking all students and staff to scan/record their movements every time they are on campus.
  • Please use the Government COVID-19 contact tracing app or record your movements in a diary. This must be used at all times.
  • In light of this, the common room will be closed, for breaks if you would like to remain inside, you are most welcome to stay in the classroom.
  • Practice good hygiene at all times, wash your hands regularly, clean surfaces, sneeze/cough into your elbow.
  • People who are at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19 are encouraged to take additional precautions when leaving home.
  • If you are sick, stay home. Do not come to campus. Don’t socialise. If you have symptoms of cold or flu call your doctor or Healthline and get advice about being tested.  If you have been told to self-isolate you must do so immediately. If you are not able to come to campus, please let staff know and we will assist.
  • Remember, if you feel unwell or experience any of these symptoms, please get a COVID-19 test and isolate until you receive a negative result. COVID-19 testing centres are located across the country, find your local one here.

Got more questions?

Get in touch with us for further enquiries!